Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Birth story...

As I sit here trying to find a way to write out this experience, I find myself at a loss for words.  Out of all the entries I've blogged this is by far the hardest for me.  This journey has been one filled with many emotions, lots of ups and downs, and life lessons.  It has taught me to be more patient, to love with all I have, and to appreciate the small things in life.  I've never felt more joy, happiness and true honest love than I do right now. My heart is filled with more love than I ever even imagined it was capable of.  Cohen has completely stole my heart... and the love, and admiration I have for Chris is beyond what words can describe.  I feel like my life is so much more complete.  Although I can look back at some entries I wrote and still recognize the pain, heartache, and desperation I felt at times I cannot imagine it any other way.  This sweet little boy is worth the wait, and I would no trade any of it... I would not have HIM if it had been any other way. 

Wednesday April 25th was my last scheduled OB visit.  I was anxious, nervous, and hopeful (for progress) as I entered the office.  Dr Laughlin checked me and I was the same as the previous week (1 cm dialated, 50% effaced).  It was a little discouraging to hear, because I was having some contractions and thought I may have progressed a little more.  We discussed options, and decided that if Cohen did not arrive by that weekend she would induce on the following Monday (April 30th).  I had high blood pressure the last few visits, and was swelling really bad.  So, I left her office knowing I'd have a baby in the next 5 days.  What a crazy thought that was! I was ready, but as soon as I began to think about the reality of it I must admit I was nervous.  The unknowns of it all scared me. 
Chris and I enjoyed our last few days of quiet, and calm by going to the cabin and walking, going to the beach, one last date night, and snuggling up discussing what it'd be like to have Cohen here.  Saturday and Sunday were filled with lots of contractions for me.  I was up a lot during the nights, because I just couldn't get comfortable.  They got stronger and stronger, and at some points would be 5 minutes apart (which we would time, and think "Is this it? Will we end up driving into the hospital this time?") but then they would go away for awhile.  I figured this was good, at least my body was getting some of the work done before we went in on Monday. 
Monday morning was a whirlwind.  I was nervous, really nervous, super anxious, and super excited all at once.  I remember calling into the hospital to make sure they had a room available, and stuttering over my words.  I cried as we drove away from our house, knowing the next time we came home Cohen would be with us.  The entire day was just the most surreal thing.  Went we got to the hospital I got all checked in, and waited for Dr Laughlin to come in.  When she arrived she explained to me that they would put a cervadil (to help my cervix thin out and get labor started) inside me, and then she'd check me an hour our so later.  I explained to her that I was having pretty strong contractions the last 36 hours, so she decided to check me first.  I think she was surprised. She said "Oh wow, you've made a lot of progress over the last few days".  I was 3 cm. dialated, and 80% effaced.  She then decided to just break my water, and let things progress naturally.  I was able to get up and walk around in between monitoring, and contractions.  My contractions progressed over the hours, but not intensely.  The nurses checked me and I slowly dialated a little bit more, but not a whole lot.  At 2pm we decided to start the Pitosin (to speed up the process, and help my body progress).  The nurse started it on a super slow drip, which helped things get going, but again, not tremendously.  Awhile later they upped the pitosin, and that's when things really started progressing.  I'm not sure what time it was but probably between 3 and 4 I was having very intense contractions, with little to no breaks in between. The nurse checked me and I was just about 5cm dialated. At this point I decided to get an epidural.  It wasn't my favorite part, to say the least... I was contracting every 30 seconds, and had to lay in an uncomfortable position while they administered the epidural.  I will say though, when it was said and done it was pure relief.  I was able to relax my body, and calm down.  (before I got it I was shaking and feeling very nauseous).  Over the next few hours things progressed beautifully.  Everytime the nurses checked me I was further along then the last time, and baby Cohen was making his way down the birth canal. 
By this time we had a waiting room full of people.  Everyone was so excited and anxious to meet our little guy... but no one as excited as Chris and I.  The day was just amazing for us both.  He was so sweet, and helpful.  He rubbed my feet, reminded me to breath, and comforted me perfectly.  It was probably around 8:00pm I was last checked and the nurse (Judy) said "You are there! Fully dialated! Baby still has a little ways to come down, and you can let him labor down or we can start pushing." So, with that said the pushing began!!  They don't call it labor for nothing.  That was hard work.  As I pushed, Kerry and Chris held my legs, and mom helped push my head forward.  All I could focus on was Chris' voice.  I could hear him say "Oh my gosh honey, he's right there!", "I see his head", "You are doing so great", "He's so close, keep pushing!".  Dr Laughlin made it just in time... The end is all kind of a blur but I remember her saying "Oh my gosh, I thought I'd be here all night... I brought work to do and everything, you are so close... let me at least get my gloves on."  I kept my eyes closed pretty much the entire time as I pushed.  I just tried to focus on the fact that Cohen was almost here.  At one point I could feel his head almost out, and Dr Laughlin said "I think with this next set of pushes he'll be out".  That gave me the strength to push with all I had, and I did.  Out he came!  That was a moment I'll never, ever forget.  I looked down to see this little tiny body, hands wailing everywhere, and could hear everyone around me crying and saying "He's here, oh wow. He's here."  Cohen Rigsby Bartoli was born at 8:50 pm on April 30, 2012, weighing 6 lbs. 5 oz., and stretching to 19 1/2 inches long. I remember them putting Cohen on my chest, and he looked up at me... that moment is imprinted on my heart forever.  The moment our eyes met was/is the most indescribable feeling I've ever known.  Chris and I just cried, and kissed, and rejoiced in the fact that finally we did it!  I honestly cannot think of a more rewarding, and powerful moment.  I was blessed when I became Chris' wife, and now we've been blessed with the greatest gift this life can give. 
That night, and the next days to follow were just surreal. (I know I keep using that word, but it's hard to find anything else to compare it to).  Chris and I were/are in complete awe of him, and this experience.  He's absolutely perfect in every way, and we could not be more proud, and honored to be his parents.  The Hospital staff was amazing, the nurses were so kind, informative, and compassionate.  We were taken very good care of, and it was a wonderful birth.  I am thankful to all the people who came and surrounded us with love that night and the days to follow.  Cohen is one lucky little boy to have so many wonderful people in his life. 
Chris and I are happy to be home, and be on our own schedule.  Cohen is adjusting beautifully.  He is eating well, sleeping lots, and pooping like crazy! Ah, the life of a baby.  We took him to his first pediatric appointment last week and he looks and sounds very healthy and has gained 2 oz. since we left the hospital.  He truly is the sweetest little bundle, and I just cannot get enough of him.
Again, Thank you all for being a part of this journey with us.  We are truly blessed!
With Love,
Kristen & Chris


























And now, for the first letter to my little angel (outside the womb)...

Dear Cohen,
I still cannot believe you are here! I have to pinch myself to make sure this isn't all a dream.  It's amazing to me that daddy and I made you.  I watch your little movements and think, oh that's what you were doing in there.  It's so beautiful to know you on the outside now.  You are even more perfect than I imagined. You can't begin to know the joy you've brought to this family.  Your daddy and I love you more than any words could ever say.  I know throughout my posts I expressed how special you are, and how loved and wanted you are, but now that you are here it's even better than all that.  The love I feel for you is more than I imagined my heart was capable of.  I could stare at you all day, and listen to your little coo's all night.  You have made daddy and I's lives complete, and there is nothing we wouldn't do for you. I would not change one single moment in this journey to you... like I said before one the biggest lessons I've learned is "everything happens for a reason".  YOU are the reason, and I would not want it any other way.  You are beautiful, wonderful, sweet, and perfect.  We believe in all you are, and know you'll grow to be a kind, and loving boy, and man.  You are our forever, our everything, and you will always be loved. 

You are my "I love you",
Mommy and Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment